Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Southern Girl (New England Style)

Hi Friends,
I hope you're wishing for as gorgeous a weekend ahead as we had last weekend for the 4th of July holiday. I know I am---my family and I are so excited to be heading down to glorious Newport, Rhode Island for two wonderful events. The 41st annual Newport Music Festival opens this Friday, July 10th, and I've been invited to welcome concertgoers at an opening weekend concert. I picked the Saturday, July 11th, 2 PM concert under the tent at the magnificent mansion, The Elms. The concert will feature sextets by Tchaikovsky and others. We often hear on the radio or see on concert programs duets, trios, quartets, even quintets with greater frequency---but sextets? Not so much. It will be great to hear out-of-the-usual music. The wonderful Malkovich's have prepared another outstanding festival with so many concerts you'll consider "must sees" that you'll just want to pitch a tent in Newport so you won't miss any. You can see what I'm talking about by visiting www.newportfestival.org. Then we'll neighboring Portsmouth, RI, for the Newport International Polo's playing fields. It's such a fun, family-oriented sporting event. Kids (of all ages) are mesmerized by the athleticism of the players---as man (sometimes woman) becomes one with horse. Although recognized as "the Sport of Kings" Newport Polo has done an outstanding job making the game "accessible" to everyone (tailgaters welcome, children under 12 admitted free, etc). Check out their website at www.glenfarm.com. Visiting points south this weekend---please come join me! Everything is better when friends join in!

No comments:

Post a Comment