Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Lesson Learned

Hi Friends,
Had to share this little exchange with you.
My "7 and 3/4s" year old son and I were having one of our chats about "life stuff" a few days ago and he mentioned playing that day at recess with a classmate we can call "Albert." "You played with Albert?" I said, surprised. "I thought he wasn't your friend any more after what he had said to you last year." You see, right at the start of the new school year last year Albert told my son that "Since Tommy, (another classmate), is going to another school next year I don't want to be your friend this year, I just want to be Tommy's." Albert proceeded to ignore my child pretty much all school year long and purposely excluded my child in many activities. In fact, Albert made it a point so loud and so obvious it was actually embarrassing more than a few times. The whole business cut my boy to the quick---he had done nothing wrong and couldn't understand Albert's choice to handle the situation this way. Anyway, my son went on to meet and play with other kids in their class and discovered there was life and happiness even after such treatment Now, a year later, I was hearing that he and Albert were playing together at recess. "Of course he's my friend," my child insisted. Hmmm. Older and "wiser" mother, full of motherly protective instincts and hoping to impress on the son that one should stick up for oneself said... "Oh. Now that Tommy has gone he wants to be friends with you again. Don't you think if you ignored Albert it would be a good idea so you could really teach him a lesson?" My son, head cocked to the side, eyes meeting mine, didn't skip a beat. "I am teaching him a lesson, Mama, I am teaching him how to be a friend." Lesson learned. By me.

I still have so much to learn. Thank you for showing me the way, Little Man.

I think I'll be spending many hours with gorgeous music ....so I can just think about things. Join me. Check out our Composer Marathon Weekend, starting Friday afternoon at 4 and going right through Sunday.

'Til next time,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment