Monday, September 21, 2009

Welcome Autumn!

Hi Friends,
Welcome Autumn!
I like summer, but I love autumn and especially early autumn when there is still hope of warm summer-like days along with that crunchy crispy feel to the air that tells us it's fall. I just couldn't wait to "get into" autumn so it was a weekend filled with autumn activities. Yesterday we headed to a "Scarecrow Stomp" where you actually made a scarecrow decoration for your front lawn. We stuffed a raggedy shirt and pair of pants from home with leaves, twigs and lawn clippings and bought a burlap bag for stuffing the head. My child had the honor of drawing our scarecrow's face. He also named him "Max." Don't ask me why...I couldn't tell you, but Max it is. Since I won't put him (Max) out on the lawn until we buy a straw hat for him (must complete the ensemble) I've got what looks like a lifeless "body" in my car right now. I probably should hide Max in my trunk. Let's just say, either way, I pray I don't get stopped by any State Trooper on the way to work this week...

On Saturday my little family went apple picking. We got eating apples and pie apples, some late peaches and plums and Asian pears. I don't buy pumpkins in September. I always get them late in the fall so I can steam them ready for holiday pie baking. Also, I've got a "thing" against decorating the house with fresh pumpkins (or any real food)---I can't stand the waste of food when there are so many hungry people in this world. I believe "faux" still gets the autumnal message across. Anyway, I'm looking forward to an industrious week ahead that includes making apple pies Monday, peach and plum jams and preserves Tuesday, fresh Asian pear salad Wednesday, apple sauce and cider Thursday. Friday is back to jellies, preserves and jams because I'm a bit behind on my yearly "canning." BTW: my preserves don't get canned. They get glass jarred.

Anyway...Welcome Autumn!
Welcome the start of the Boston Symphony Orchestra's 2009-10 season. The Gala Opening Night is Wednesday the 23rd. WCRB begins broadcast of the BSO's Saturday night concerts with your host Mark Edwards this Saturday the 26th. Has it been awhile or maybe have you never been? Treat yourself or someone you love and buy tickets at 888-266-1200. Like the Swan Boats in spring the BSO season is important to the autumn and our shared Boston experience. And count on us here at WCRB to bring you the rest of the BSO and Boston Pops season Saturdays at 8:30.

'Til next time,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment